HLSS311 D002 Summer 2020
Respond to the following short essay questions based on the course materials presented for weeks 1-4 and researched material from outside the course. State the topic question followed by your responses to that topic.
1. Describe the challenges faced by US Customs and Border Protection agents attempting to secure the border. Be sure to include:
What is the functional equivalent of the border? Give an example.
What is the Fourth amendment exception as it pertains to border searches?
How are seizure statistics used to justify the mission of border security? Should they be.
2. What are “open markets and closed borders” as it pertains to smuggling, free trade, and border enforcement?
3. What are the challenges of facilitating legal border crossings while maintaining secure borders?
4. What has been the economic impact of terrorism on U.S. and Global Markets since 9/11 look at this from 9/11 to the present?
5. What has been the impact of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) agreements on cross border trade in North America?
Your paper must be at a minimum of 10 pages, at least 2 pages per numbered topic question (the Title and Reference pages do not count towards the minimum limit).
Scholarly and credible references should be used. A good rule of thumb is at least 2 scholarly sources per page of content.
Type in Times New Roman, 12 point and double space.
Students will follow the current APA Style as the sole citation and reference style used in written work submitted as part of coursework.
Points will be deducted for the use of Wikipedia or encyclopedic type sources. It is highly advised to utilize books, peer-reviewed journals, articles, archived documents, etc.
All submissions will be graded using the assignment rubric.