Watch the following documentaries (note the instructions within the last two documentaries where you are instructed to select within the documentaries).
1. MTV Episodes from the list below:
a. MTV – True Life (2012, Season 18, Episode 21)> Full Episodes – I’m Addicted to Heroin (41 minutes)
b. MTV – True Life (2009, Season 14, Episode 3)> Full Episodes – I’m addicted to Eds (42 minutes)
2. A & E Documentaries below:
a. A & E Intervention (David S.); 43 minutes: Season 14, Episode 11 http://www.aetv.com/shows/intervention/season-14/episode-11
Available on Amazon and iTunes under Season 15, Episode 12
3) OTHER OPTIONS
a. Coming Klan: Stories of Overcoming Addiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrJiRFvGOU
Use the following questions to guide the content of your brief paper. Be sure to look at the grading guidelines to ensure that you are covering all the criteria used for grading – it is a good idea to check the grading guidelines when you have finished your paper to ensure that you have met all the requirements. Responses to ALL FIVE questions are required. Note that each question has several related parts – be sure to respond to EACH part of the question within your response. The goal is for you to share your overall impressions of the documentaries and support your answers with readings and lectures, when asked and when applicable (as indicated below).
Please provide answers to each question SEPARATELY, and ensure that you have addressed the questions below. Each answer should be in paragraph, narrative format, even though each question has multiple related questions. You should also feel free to add any other information and/or share your personal perspectives about anything else that you observed that you found salient and relevant to the course. Answer these FIVE questions for the paper:
Answer these questions for the paper:
1. What were your impressions of what you watched and heard in the documentaries? How did you feel when you learned more about the individuals’ experiences? Were you surprised about any of these experiences in adolescents or young adults lives? Please explain and be specific in your response, while pulling from examples from all four documentaries.
2. Based on the four documentaries, what were the pathways to recovery (if any) across the different individuals? Were the pathways similar (or different) across the four individuals, and how so? For this response, be sure to compare and contrast, rather than summarize the pathways for each individual separately. Consider what factors and approaches were successful and which served as barriers in their recovery. You may want to consider individual, familial and community factors in formulating your response.
3. After watching the documentaries, is the AA/NA process (steps, traditions, requirements for “membership”, format of meetings) helpful for recovery for an adolescent and can it prevent relapse? If not, are there any aspects of AA/NA that you think are helpful to adolescents in recovery? Use lectures and readings (e.g., Tassel, Kelly, Glaser, Hagen) to support your answer.
4. Is the abstinence-only approach appropriate for adolescents or young adults in recovery? Explain why or why not. Use lectures and readings (e.g., Tassel, Kelly, Glaser, Hagen) to support your answer.
5. How would you improve upon AA/NA meetings to be a good fit for adolescents? Be sure to fully explain your rationale or suggestions, and use lectures and readings to support.