Week 4 – Interactive Assignment
28 28 unread replies. 45 45 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Predictive Policing Twitter Activity
For this activity, you will visit Twitter at https://twitter.com/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. and click on the little magnifying glass on the left side of the screen to reveal the search box to search Twitter. Then, do the following:
- In the search box, type the words “predictive policing” in the search box and click “enter” to initiate a Twitter search.
- Scroll down the page and review some of the tweets that mention the term predictive policing. Choose two tweets that interest you. Choose different tweets than those your classmates have chosen. Therefore, this is a good activity to do early in the week.
- Share the links to the tweets in the discussion board. See below for further instructions on what to include in your discussion.
- If you do not have a Twitter account, simply click on the tweet and copy and paste the URL for the tweet. Share the link on the discussion board. See below for further instructions on what to include in your discussion.
- In addition to the links to the two tweets you chose, please address the following in your discussion:
- Overall, what did you observe in reviewing the tweets from the Twitter search term “predictive policing?” For example, what concerns with predictive policing are addressed in the tweets?
- Were you able to make sense of what predictive policing is based on your review of the tweets on this topic?
- Based on your review of the recent tweets (in the past six months), did it appear that predictive policing is effective?
- If you were to reply to one of the tweets you chose about predictive policing, what would you say? (Remember that you can use only 140 characters or less on Twitter so be clever in your “tweet”).
Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words. Support your initial post with examples from your required reading material and/or scholarly or credible sources, using the Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. document for guidance. Please provide both in-text citations and a references list at the end of your initial post in APA style (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Guided Response: Review several of your peer’s posts. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. In your responses, offer a point of view that provides either support for your classmates’ position(s) or constructive feedback indicating why you disagree. Be sure to support your assertions with scholarly, credible sources, as outlined in the Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. document. Respond to at least two of your fellow students’ posts in a substantive manner and provide recommendations to extend their thinking. You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful and interactive discourse in this discussion forum. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time) on Day 7, and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.